The challenge is to cook a national dish from every letter in the alphabet. This edition was for L. The front runners were between Lebanon, Lesotho and Laos and I have to say, thankfully Laos won.
I am am not too sure what they have in Lesotho, but I'm guessing it would have been tricky. Lebanon, I am again guessing, may have been shawarma, which I didn't want. So Laos it was.
Larp is a salad with meat with Far East Asian spices and herbs. The Laos cuisine is very familiar to those of Thailand and Vietnam. This made me happy and excited.
How did I do it? Points and recipe below
- Cut chicken into small pieces and marinade in rice wine vinegar and lime juice
- Bake uncooked rice in oven for 15 minutes until browned
- Once the rice has cooled, blitz in food processor
- On a high heat, chuck in the chicken and cook until browned
- Cut up all the veg and get the herbs ready. Throw in the garlic, spring onions and Chilli in with the chicken all on a high heat
- Once cooked and with a bit of colour add fish sauce, the soy sauce and a bit of sugar
- cook quickly to give colour and then add the coriander and mint in the dish together
- Finally, chuck in a bit extra garnish of coriander and the blitzed rice and ...
DONE- Larp is served