This was my edition of the global cooking challenge. So the aim is to cook a dish from different dish (or dishes) from a country from across the world. I have worked my way from Afghanistan to Belize and now Cyprus. I am not sure which country is next and the options are limited.
Kleftiko ( which means stolen lamb) - as the poor used to cook the lamb for house in their caves - Hell yeah!.
- Marinade lamb shoulder/leg in olive oil, lemon juice, salt, pepper, oregano and rosemary overnight.
- Layer the kitchen foil with potatoes and tomatoes and wrap the meat tightly
- Next day, slow roast in the oven for 3 hours at 125-150 degrees
- After 3 hours wack the heat up to 200 degrees for 20 minutes - make sure yu do not over cook the meat.
- Get pork mince and lamb mince and mix together-- you need the fatty type of both- forget lean or fat free
- Mix in with about half the amount of red onions and parsley with salt and pepper (be generous with salt)
- Get the caul fat (membrane of cow organs- I got mine from Yasar halim) and wrap this mixture - like a spring roll
- Cook on BBQ or gill turning frequently, the caul fat will melt and add to the great flavour,