Stoke Newington is or WAS the latest so called trendy place. I live close by, therefore I am trendy. YOU GET ME?
This long stretch of road is full of restaurants, not many or ANY chains on the block but a lot of feel good places. Have a look at TripAdvisor and you will see the conundrum.
- Stokey Bears - Of course there are goign to be Burgers. Award winning Burger Bear got his first permenant residence in Stoke Newington. Good burger that unfortuantely had to have a finish. I enjoyed every bite.
- Rasa Travacone: A different take on the curry, but very welcome. South indian flavours which embrace their heritage but also their colonial ties too. Lamb puff pastry, battered prawns and dry meat some great dishes,
- Foxlow: The child of the Hawksmoor. Good work from the hawksmoor group and if they wanted me to come back they did a good job in making me feel welcome and appreciated. Good meat and produce here.
- Mangal Ocakbasi 1: one of the first Turkish bbq restaurants in London and remains one of the best. Perfectly spiced and cooked meats, served with freshly baked flatbreads, rice, salad and house made dips. Don't be put off by the fact the restaurant looks like a ..... (Thanks Oran for the kind words)
- Yeni Umut 3000: Great value and great quality, good meat, no doner kebab. The meat was cooked perfectly on top of the charcoal, the charred bits, the smokiness and the crisp bites of tender meat all went down so easily. Succulent, juicy and so delicious, the food tasted really fresh and not oily or fatty at all.
People are more than happy to travel for good food and I am included. When the food is quality than this doesn't become an issue. Also, when you tell people you are going to Stoke Newington, your cool factor immediately goes up.